infertility

infertility

Sunday 20 March 2011

To speak or not to speak.

Some friends who're a few weeks pregnant are visiting. I feel bad we haven't told them our situation: they told us theirs even though they're not at 11 weeks yet.

I was chatting with Tash earlier and did feel there was a moment when I could share. But, somehow, it was too clunky. I am perfectly happy for them to know - they are good mates - but having just heard their good news, and how they've avoided telling certain friends they know are struggling to conceive for fear of upsetting them, it seemed to big a deal to announce our "issue".

People advise me to tell others when I want to, and not feel any obligation or guilt about it. But there is a sense of responsiblity, because I think the world would be a better place if everyone was more open about fertility struggles.

We do have another set of friends who have been trying to get pregnant for just a few months less than us, who we talk with. And now several family members know. I expect our indiscretion at New Year has led to word spreading a bit in Chepstow.

Hey ho. Sorry Tash. There just is no 'right' way to do these things.