infertility

infertility

Saturday 1 January 2011

Tongues loosened. + 1.5 months

Drunken and fun New Year led to us spilling our hearts out to a couple of people we barely know, and another we don't know at all!

First time I've felt totally at ease discussing the fact we can't pop a sprog. Odd, isn't it? The 'stranger' couple said they'd had a long wait before getting pregnant. And I know another couple at the party suffered at least one miscarriage. In fact, I'm conscious of quite a lot of people who have struggled with fertility and childbearing.

Given that, I can't see why I hear so many conversations like this:
"So, how many kids would you like?"
"Oh I don't know, 2 or 3"
"Planning on starting a family soon?"
"Not yet, possibly in a year or so when we're settled at work and have bought a new house."

And none like this:
"So, how many kids would you like?"
"Oh, I don't know. We'll have to see what happens. Any would be lovely."
"Planning on starting a family soon"
"We'll probably stop using contraception in the next few months but that doesn't mean anything will happen."