infertility

infertility

Sunday 5 December 2010

Telling people. + 2 weeks.

There is no reason to announce our fertility status to the world, and I expect it will take us quite a bit of time to learn how to communicate about it. But it seemed right to let parents know straight away.

I surprised myself by sobbing when trying to tell mum. Haven't done that in ages. But it was the first time I'd vocalised the situation and grief took me by surprise. I eventually caught my breath and actually said the words - "we can't have children". Actually, typing them now brings the emotion back. But I feel better for having allowed the news out. Mum was calm, thankfully.

Jon told his parents too. They were more stunned: I think perhaps my mum and dad had wondered if we were having problems conceiving, whereas his had assumed we were making a choice. I'm sure they have said things over the past year they wouldn't have, had they known. And of course, on their side is the doted-over grand-daughter that we've had to learn to cope with, while my parents have had no reason to become obsessed with a new generation.

Anyway, we both have the concern and support of our families. And I think on all sides it will be much easier to be the possessors of an "explanation".