infertility

infertility

Sunday 26 December 2010

Generosity. + 1 month.

Jon's parents gave us a cheque for Christmas that would cover a round of private fertility treatment.

Incredibly generous and I was very moved by the gesture. They made a point of telling us the money was ours to spend, as we wish, but we knew what they wanted to enable us to do.

We will go down the NHS route first. I expect. I don't think you can return to it, once you've had treatment privately. So we might use the money if the first round of treatment fails. (You only get one round on the NHS in our patch.) After all, we pay our taxes! May as well get something back.....

It's so hard to know what to do about treatment. I think you have to decide at each new stage of the journey. From here, I feel that I'd want to try a few rounds of ICSI before giving up, and if that means several thousand pounds then so be it. But who knows what I'll feel like after a longer wait in the 'system' and with more time learning to deal with the situation?

Maybe I will be determined to keep trying until I get too old. Or maybe I will become reconciled to childlessness. We'll see. I think we need to resist the urge to get ahead of ourselves.