infertility

infertility

Sunday 21 October 2012

Treatment day 38

Pessaries #3

Yesterday morning we had a call to say my two eggs had become two healthy looking embryos. Hurray!

Not many people get to have two embryos replaced because the hfea wants to limit the number of multiple births resulting from fertility treatment. But we fitted the criteria for it because they only retrieved two eggs in total from me and I am under 35. So, we decided to have both replaced. Obviously, this means we didn't have any embryos to freeze (and they wouldn't have frozen the one remaining one, anyway, again down to the regulatory criteria for such procedures.) 

There is now a 34% chance of twins. Eeek! And exciting.

lovely pessaries
I was back into BCRM at noon on Saturday for the replacement. Not very pleasant - a huge moving chair and a nice big speculum in place for what seemed like an age.... But they said the procedure went very well and both embryos reached their destination.

I have to take pessaries for 2 weeks to give me progesterone and keep the womb lining thick. And then take a pregnancy test.

Notwithstanding this blog, I am hesitant about discussing all this because I expect people to suddenly get excited and assume we're having two children. There is a long way to go before that! It's not likely both embryos will take, quite likely neither will, or that I'll miscarry, or that there will be complications. I would like to concentrate on being happy we've got this far, coped with the whole thing very well (in my opinion) and that treatment has gone well. The present reality is all that matters.

Hard to believe that it as less than a week between follicle scan and embryo replacement!