infertility

infertility

Thursday 11 October 2012

Treatment Day 28

Nasal spray and injections #9

I had my first scan yesterday, to see how the ovaries are coming along.

They aren't quite as big as they need to be for egg harvesting, so I have to keep on injecting (and sniffing) until Monday and go back in for another scan. I did my injection yesterday in the Leigh Delamere services carpark. At dusk. Interesting!

It's hard not to get panicky that something will go wrong: if I forget to do the spray I might ovulate and then all would be lost. Or if for some reason I don't respond adequately to the Menopur by the middle of next week, they might decide I need to start the whole thing again. And I honestly don't know what we'd do about that: Jon's Canada flight is now booked and he can't keep continent hopping for treatment. And the prospect of being apart for more than 6 months is rather bleak.

Don't inject with the wrong needle!
I think we'd probably decide to call it a day if things didn't progress right. As the very sensible nurse who saw us yesterday said, you can't keep your life on hold for fertility treatment. But in all these decisions, we leave our options open until the final moment: you never know how you will feel at each stage.

However, all will probably be well. My rather odd fertility book says I need to practise 'visualisation' at this stage. Which I think means picturing my inner bits responding well to all the medication. Not sure I know how to go about that, or whether I'd find it helpful, to be honest.

Today's picture is of my two sets of needles: one is big and pink and is used to suck up all the stuff out of vials. Then you have to transfer the mixture to the littler, yellow needle, which you put into your tummy.